Family and Community Worker x2
Location: Face to face delivery pan London, agile working for all other duties, office location Southwark
Reports to: Service Manager
Contract: Permanent subject to funding
Hours of work: 35 hours per week
Salary: Grade B point 1 £25,650 to point 5 £31,050 per annum
About Safer London
Safer London is a leading charity working with young Londoners and their families affected by violence and exploitation. We believe that all young Londoners can have a positive and productive future.
We’re paving the way for young Londoners to reach their full potential. We’re here for them, wherever they are and whenever they’re ready. To work for us you’ll be an exceptional individual with a genuine desire to work alongside people to transform their lives. You’ll be talented, courageous, committed – a change maker.
We take time to understand the contexts where violence and exploitation happen and are committed to embedding contextual safeguarding approaches. We understand that all the children, young people and families that access our services are likely to have experienced trauma and use our understanding of these experiences as the building blocks of support. Our work is shaped by the identities and experiences of those we work alongside.
In everything we do we:
- prioritise creating safe and trusted relationships
- celebrate and build on strengths
- involve young people in the shaping of our services and provide a platform for their voices to be heard
- innovate, reflect, and commit to learning, we will hold our hands up when we get things wrong.
- recognise we can’t know it all and support other professionals when another trusting relationship already exists.
Issues of racial justice are central to the work we do. We are fully committed to anti-racism and actively oppose systemic oppression of any form. We celebrate diversity and challenge inequality. As an organisation, we will proactively become part of the solution, since we are not prepared to sit back, do nothing, and be part of the problem.
About the role
We are looking for a Family and Community Worker, an expert in your field, someone who is motivated, willing to learn and grow. This is a fantastic opportunity for you to play an integral role in improving the lives of young Londoners, their families, peers, and communities.
In this role you will provide a variety of interventions to families, young Londoners, and within communities. Interventions may be one to one support or via group work or community development. We work with those affected by violence and exploitation which is primarily but not exclusively child sexual exploitation, child criminal exploitation, youth violence and sexual abuse perpetrated outside of the family.
Core responsibilities of the role are, but not limited to:
- Delivering effective and appropriate services to families and communities in line with the Safer London model of work ensuring that young Londoners, their families and communities receive the required support to meet their individual assessed needs.
- Assessing which contexts need support and intervention and work across several concurrently if needed or address the priority need. Those contexts may include assessing and offering support with families, peer groups and/or places. Interventions could include community and/or partnership engagement and development, young people/peer group/parent/carer engagement and support, advocating for physical and practical changes to create safer spaces, and support to enhance Community Guardianship- with parents/carers/ community member.
- Undertaking high quality case recording in line with the highest standards and best practice principles.
- Making appropriate onward referrals, signposting children and young people to support services and positive activities.
- Working with partners, communities and other key stakeholders to deliver the service effectively.
- Working creatively with colleagues to generate project resources and materials as required.
- Acting at all times in line with safeguarding legislation and guidance, as well as Safer London’s procedures and wider pan London processes and protocols.
- Undertaking any other duties as required and commensurate with the level of this post.
If you are committed, resilient and ambitious Family and Community Worker and believe you have what it takes to help us to improve the safety of young Londoners and their families then please apply.
We are committed to protecting and promoting the welfare of children and young people, and we expect anyone who works and volunteers with us to share this commitment.
We request a DBS (Disclosure Barring Service) check as part of the recruitment process, the level will depend on the role you are being recruited to.
At Safer London we value diversity and we’re committed to creating an inclusive culture. We encourage and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds. We know that to make London a safer place for the young people that live here, we need a diverse range of perspectives, experience, and knowledge.
Safer London continually reviews its pay and offers generous benefits:
- Safer London is an agile working organisation. This means you have flexibility to work across different locations e.g. from home, our current office premises (Southwark) and community locations (café/co-working spaces) when you are not delivering face to face work in the community.
- Our Flexible Working Policy allows requests from day 1.
- Pension Scheme
- Season Ticket Loans
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Mental Health Free Helpline
- Death in Service Benefit
- Acting up, additional responsibilities and student supervisor roles provide opportunities to develop and progress your career. Recognised by additional pay.
- Holiday Allowance - You will be entitled to 28 days holiday plus bank holidays and other statutory holidays, part time employees receive a pro-rata entitlement
- Annual leave linked to length of service - 3 years’ service 30 days and 5 years’ service 33 days, part time employees receive a pro-rata entitlement.
To apply, please use the apply button.