Youth Participation Senior Manager
Youth Participation Senior Manager
The London Borough of Newham is committed to putting young people at the heart of everything we do. The Mayor and Members have agreed ambitious plans to expand our youth services.
This full time role is one of a number we are currently advertising as part of the biggest expansion in youth services in London for a generation. An overview of all of our Youth Empowerment job opportunities can be found on our dedicated recruitment campaign page.
About the Role
Salary – PO7 £47,511 - £50,448. Full-time role.
The Youth Participation Senior Manager will work to a remit set by the Youth Service Manager, and will be responsible for establishing and embedding approaches that support and raise young people’s voice within the borough and throughout its democratic processes.
The post holder will be responsible for co-producing the Youth Citizen Assemblies and Youth Movements which are key mechanisms that inform the design and delivery of services and steer the effective use of resources which impact young people and bring about positive and lasting change.
You will also manage a team of Participation Workers, working with children and young people who may need additional support, ensuring that those that face the greatest access barriers are able to benefit from the Youth Service, express their views, and take advantage of wider opportunities in Newham.
Examples of work you will be responsible for include:
- Delivering innovative approaches to engaging young people in shaping and participating in the activities offered as part of the Youth Service Curriculum, and in so doing, raising the overall level of participation in Youth Service activity to 20% of 9 – 19 year olds;
- Ensuring that Newham’s children and young people are supported to have a say in decisions that affect them, through responsibility for and facilitating/co production of Newham’s Youth Citizens’ Assemblies, Newham’s Youth Movements and a range of local, national and online fora;
- Leading work with young people with SEND, those that are looked after, LGBTQ young people and young carers to enable them to access an enhanced intensive service which is aligned to their needs and which supports their engagement;
- Inputting in to the development of Newham’s Youth Service Extended Learning Curriculum; and
- Managing and developing a team of Participation Workers and a Duke of Edinburgh, Volunteering & Accreditation Senior Worker.
We are committed to recruiting a team that understands what it is like to grow up in an Inner City borough like Newham. A team that can get to grips with the challenges and also make the most of the amazing opportunities that such an environment brings. Those that get these jobs will be able to see the potential in the young people of Newham.
Specific skills and experience are important to us. We want to hire the best youth work team. We want the most inspiring mentors. The best informal educators.
We will recruit people who share our enthusiasm. We want people with an incredible passion and commitment to making a positive difference working with Newham’s young people. People who have the imagination to work with those young people and to help them thrive.
Further information on the biggest expansion of youth services in London for a generation, including video messages from The Mayor and from young people, can be found on Newham’s dedicated recruitment campaign page.
The closing date for applications for this role is 3rd July, with interviews to be held during the week commencing 22nd July.
Click here to apply.