Detached Senior Youth Worker
Detached Senior Youth Worker
The London Borough of Newham is committed to putting young people at the heart of everything we do. The Mayor and Members have agreed ambitious plans to expand our youth services.
This role is one of a number we are currently advertising as part of the biggest expansion in youth services in London for a generation. An overview of all of our Youth Empowerment job opportunities can be found on our dedicated recruitment campaign page.
About the Role
Salary £38,188 - £44,741 inclusive of London weighting (JNC banding ranges between 25-32, with progression between ranges subject to criteria assessment)
This full-time role will be leading a team of youth workers to deliver detached provision at locations where young people choose to meet; and delivering follow up projects with these young people in partnership with other services and organisations. Specifically, under the direction of the Youth Service Manager, you will be responsible for:
- Designing, planning, delivering and monitoring comprehensive universal and targeted programmes of street-based youth work within Newham that promotes independence and wellbeing and helps young people engage with their communities and support positive transition to adulthood;
- Developing innovative approaches to engaging young people in shaping and participating in the activities offered as part of the Youth Service Curriculum, with the aim of raising the overall level of participation in Youth Service activity to 20% of 9 – 19 year olds;
- Working with statutory and non-statutory agencies to provide a detached programme of activities targeted at individuals / groups in need of particular support, including prioritising support for young people at risk of criminal exploitation, with mental health issues or with multiple needs and facing barriers to participating in universal provision;
- Working with young people to develop specific programmes of activity within areas of the borough identified as priority areas for detached youth provision;
- Managing a team of youth workers; and supporting the wider Youth Service to adopt innovative approaches to making youth services more accessible to young people.
We are committed to recruiting a team that understands what it is like to grow up in an Inner City borough like Newham. A team that can get to grips with the challenges and also make the most of the amazing opportunities that such an environment brings. Those that get these jobs will be able to see the potential in the young people of Newham.
Specific skills and experience are important to us. We want to hire the best youth work team. We want the most inspiring mentors. The best informal educators.
We will recruit people who share our enthusiasm. We want people with an incredible passion and commitment to making a positive difference working with Newham’s young people. People who have the imagination to work with those young people and to help them thrive.
Further information on the biggest expansion of youth services in London for a generation, including video messages from The Mayor and from young people, can be found on Newham’s dedicated recruitment campaign page.
The closing date for this role is 3rd July, with interviews to be held during the week commencing 22nd July.
Click here to apply.