KEY PURPOSE OF THE JOB
- To lead and develop the work of Community Youth Project’s so that it successfully engages the disadvantaged young people of The Nightingales Estate and leaves a lasting positive impact on their lives and future prospects.
- To promote the personal, education, creative and social development of young people helping them to reach their full potential.
- To provide a supportive environment where young people learn to discover exciting new experiences and activities.
KEY ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Management and Administration
- Survey existing youth work provision available to young people at the Nightingales Estate, identify and develop plans to address gaps in provision.
- Write, develop and secure funding to implement a business plan for the work of the charity.
- Ensure that all projects are properly documented, are delivered within budget and that work is evaluated and data input into management systems.
- Recruit, develop and line manage a team of part time staff and volunteers.
- Complete performance appraisals and identify staff training needs.
- Identify, develop and maintain strong community relationships with external stakeholders, i.e. schools and colleges, and develop relationships with youth networks in Newbury.
- Work jointly with the Administrator/Youth Support Worker to support the collection of the required outcome monitoring data.
- Implement Community Youth Project’s policies and procedures and, when necessary, advise trustees of possible improvements.
- Welcome young people into the building, ensuring everything is running smoothly and supporting young people engaging with the services.
- Deliver youth club and drop in sessions, i.e. organise games, positive activities and workshops.
- Provide information, signposting referral service and support to young people so that they can readily access resources and services.
- Plan and secure funding to deliver creative, adventurous and partnership projects.
- Plan and secure funding to deliver a summer holiday scheme.
- Support and develop the youth council, identifying and securing funding to support training opportunities.
- Act as a role model for young people, inspiring them to engage in the services.
- Have conversations with young people, identifying issues affecting them and how their needs can be met. Identify and refer when targeted youth support is needed.
- Mentor, coach and support individuals, encouraging young people to develop their self-awareness, independence and individuality.
- Stay informed on legislation, local and national issues, and best practice in youth work.
- Ensure that safeguarding and child protection policy and procedures are followed and that the safeguarding of young people is paramount.
- Carry out all duties in accordance with Community Youth Project’s policies and procedures, and with relevant legislation. Where necessary advise trustees of possible improvements.
- As duties and responsibilities change, the job description will be reviewed by trustees and amended in consultation with the post holder.
- The post holder will carry out any other duties as are within the broad scope and purpose of the job as requested by the Chair of Trustees.