Part Time Therapist
ARE YOU AN EXPERIENCED FAMILY/SYSTEMIC THERAPIST?
Foster Care Associates are looking for a Part Time Therapist to deliver high quality therapy services and to facilitate and enable a therapeutic environment for looked after children and young people placed/children and families.
- To contribute to the maintenance of a strong UK wide therapy service profile where quality and clinical governance is key
- Working within an integrated multidisciplinary team to organise and facilitate Team Parenting Meetings by bringing together the carers and those professionals who are involved in the young person’s life in order to carefully think through complex issues facing the care system and the young person.
- To offer consultation sessions to those carers who need help when they are working with particular difficulties in the placements;
- Being available to offer consultation to other staff within FCA to discuss issues that arise in relation to actual or potential placements;
- To offer consultation to other professionals, external to FCA, who are part of the care system in relation to the young person. This is most likely to involve the LASW and/or the young person’s school.
- To offer therapy sessions jointly with carer(s) and young people, where such direct contact with the young person contributes to carer confidence and placement stability and enables the attachment relationship between the two to be explored in the light of the young person’s history
- To run sessions/groups for new carers during their first year to facilitate their understanding in what it means to be a therapeutic foster carer;
- To run other sessions/groups for more experienced carers, where specific issues can be explored in more detail; for example attachment and therapeutic parenting groups; working with teenagers with challenging behaviour etc.
- To contribute to the training of carers and staff;
- To meet regularly with the area team manager so that a shared overall understanding of the clinical and/or mental health needs of all young people in team parenting placements are discussed and considered
- To form and maintain links and co-operative relationships with external mental health services for young people i.e. CAMHS; NSPCC etc. To refer to these services when clinically appropriate and incorporate these professionals into the parenting team around the young person.
- To offer individual therapy sessions to young people where this will contribute to carer confidence and placement stability. Such sessions will usually be charged additionally to placing authorities;
- To hold a recognised relevant therapy qualification
- Be registered and accredited with a recognised accrediting therapy body
- Must possess a full driving licence
- Experience of working with looked after children and young people both short and longer term
- To have carried out assessments
- A preliminary knowledge of child protection procedures
- Ability to communicate clearly and sensitively with young people and adults
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
This is a part time 21 hours per week, fixed term contract for 12 months, based from our offices in Ipswich and comes with an attractive salary of £20,000 per annum pro rata.
Foster Care Associates is an Equal Opportunities employer. The successful applicant will be subject to a DBS check at enhanced level if successful for the position. We reserve the right to withdraw this advert without notification. Please note, we do not work with recruitment agencies.