Committee Specialist - Education Committee
Contract Type: Permanent or secondment
Type of Post: Concurrent
Hours: 36 per week
The Education Committee is responsible for scrutinising the policy, administration and expenditure of the Department for Education and its associated bodies including child services as well as schools and education policy. Committee Specialists form part of a small committee team, working on a range of inquiries within the committee’s subject area to support the scrutiny of government. This includes organising evidence, preparing briefing material, writing draft Committee reports and conducting analysis.
Specialists are expected to be knowledgeable about the committee’s subject area. As part of this, they are expected to develop and maintain relevant contacts and networks.
The successful candidate will have the following skills/experience:
- Up to date subject knowledge (or a demonstrable ability to acquire specialist knowledge) and the ability to rapidly acquire knowledge in sometimes unfamiliar areas relevant to the Committee.
- Ability to research and collate material from a range of sources and to analyse it to develop well argued, evidence-based conclusions.
- High-level written and oral communication skills, including the ability to explain complex information clearly, impartially and succinctly to a non-specialist audience.
- A 2:1 degree (or equivalent) or postgraduate qualification in a relevant subject (education or children’s services) or significant work experience in a relevant policy/scrutiny environment.
Annual leave starting at 28 days pro rata
Interest-free season ticket loan
Child care voucher scheme
Discounted membership of the in-house gym
All applications must be submitted on a House of Commons application form.
More information on the role and the full criteria can be found on the job description.
Closing date: Midnight on 03/07/2017
More jobs like this
- Central government / Government agency jobs in Child protection / Safeguarding
- Central government / Government agency in Childcare / Early years jobs
- Central government / Government agency jobs in Education / Special educational needs
- Central government / Government agency jobs in Policy, research & communications